Add a new custom automation
In the Smart Home Hub app, you can build custom automation to automatically trigger multiple actions, including notification alerts. You can set up automation to run at certain times on certain days of the week or to trigger when another device reports a certain condition (such as detecting motion).
1. From the Home screen, tap Automation on the lower menu.
2. Tap the Plus (+) button, then "Add automation"
3. Tap Plus (+) icon to add a Condition
- Tap Based on the time of day to select a specific time or period for the Automation to run
- Tap Specific time to select a single specific time and the days of the week
- Tap Period of time to select a time window with a specific start date and end date, or the days of the week
- Tap Sunrise or Sunset to use your Location's geolocation settings to trigger at sunrise or sunset. (Optional: Set a time offset of up to 60 minutes before or after sunrise or sunset)
- Tap Based on device status and the app will prompt you to choose:
- A device
- The device capability to use (e.g., motion, open/close, temperature)
- The device state to use (e.g., no motion vs. motion, open vs. closed)
- Tap Based on a member's location to trigger an Automation when your phone arrives or departs from your Location's geolocation. Click here to learn more about configuring your geolocation.
- Tap Based on this location's mode to trigger the Automation only when the Location's mode is set to Away, Night, or Home
- Tap Based on security mode to trigger the Automation only when Smart Home Monitor's security state is set to Armed (Away), Armed (Stay), or Disarmed. Click here to learn more about Smart Home Monitor in the Smart Home Hub app
- If multiple Device status, Location mode, or Security mode conditions are selected:
- Tap All conditions for all conditions to be met before triggering the automation
- Tap Any condition to require that only some conditions are met before triggering the automation
4. Tap Next
5. Tap the Plus (+) icon to add an Action
- Tap Notify members to create a notification for when the Automation runs
- Select the device(s) to control
- Select the device action (e.g., on, off, dimmer level)
- Set an optional action delay by tapping Select how soon to start the action after the conditions are met
- Select the Scenes(s) to trigger
- Tap Change this location's mode to change the Location's mode to Away, Night, or Home when triggered
6. Optional: Enter a name for your Automation
7. Tap Save
These instructions will walk you through an example of how to turn on a hallway light when there is motion detected using a motion sensor and a switch/light device.
This is merely an example while this tool is powerful to create customized automation.
- From the Home screen, tap Automation on the lower menu.
- Tap the Plus (+) button, then "Add automation"
- Tap the Plus (+) icon below If
- Tap Based on a device status
- Select your hallway motion sensor device
- Tap Motion sensor for the device capability
- Tap Motion detected for the device state
- Tap Next
- Tap the Plus (+) icon below Then
- Tap Control a device
- Select your hallway lighting device
- Tap On for the device action
- Optional: Tap Select how long to perform this action to automatically turn the light off after a set period of time
- Tap Done
- Optional: Enter a name for your Automation
- Tap Save
Edit a custom automation
You can always edit your custom automation whenever you like if you need to change, add, or swap out devices you want to trigger and control automation.
You could deactivate or pause an Automation if you don't want to have it run manually. If you deactivate or pause automation, it will not run until you enable it at a later time.
2. Select the Automation you'd like to edit
3. This will bring you to your automation which will allow you to edit the triggers (IF) and actions (THEN).
- Tap on the Action or Condition to edit it
- Tap the minus (-) icon to delete an Action or Condition
- Tap the Plus (+) icon to add an Action or Condition
4. When finished, tap Save
Delete a custom automation
If automation no longer serves the purpose you like anymore, you could simply delete custom automation or multiple at the same time.
- Select More Options () and tap Delete
- Touch Negative (-) icon next to the automation on the left to delete them.