This article describes the setup of the Z-Pi 7 in Home Assistant with a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 with ZWaveJS to MQTT and form part of the larger Z-Pi 7 user guide.
This guide assumes that you have a fresh install or have already installed Home Assistant, if you already have ZWaveJS Installed, you may need to delete it before you install ZWave JS to MQTT.
- Delete ZWaveJS integration
- Delete ZWaveJS addon (from supervisor)
1. Disable Bluetooth
This is required since both bluetooth and Z-Pi 7 utilize the same serial port dev/ttyAMA0, in order for Z-Pi 7 to form a connection to your RPi, you must disable bluetooth.
Before doing this, make sure you've installed Home Assistant OS onto your USB flash drive or microSD card.
- Plug your USB flash drive or microSD card with Home Assistant installed into your PC.
- Open up your Home Assistant drive.
- Look for "config.txt" and open it.
- Add this command to the text file depending on the RPi version you have.
Raspberry Pi 3
Raspberry Pi 4
- Save config.txt
- Exit config.txt
- Now safely eject your Flash drive or microSD and remove it from your PC
- Install your Flash drive or microSD into your RPi and power it up.
- Wait a few minutes before moving onto the next following steps.