This guide will lead you how to wire your illumino Wall Switch as a 3-way switch to your existing gang-box and lighting. This guide is a expansion of the illumino Wall Switch user guide.
What you'll need in this guide.
- Voltage Tester
- illumino Wall Switch
- Extra wire caps just in case.
- Additional White Wire (for neutral connection).
General US color coding for wires.
- Black = AC Live or Load input
- White = AC Neutral
- Red = Traveler wire
- Bare copper = Ground (not used in this guide).
How to fit wires into illumino Wall Switch.
3-way wiring diagram.
There are 2 methods to wiring a 3-way switch to the 2 general or standard 3-way switch methods. You can wire the illumino Wall Switch in the gangbox away from the light, or close to the light itself.
Wiring may be easier depending on what wiring is already available in each of the gang-boxes.
Textual steps for wiring your Wall Switch.
- Turn off the circuit breaker connected to the lighting that you are trying to wire.
- Remove the faceplate
- Unscrew your old external switch from the wall. (Do not remove wires yet unless you know what you're doing)
- Pull out the external switch a little bit and make sure there are no wires touching each other.
- Turn on the circuit breaker.
Determine your wires.
- Make sure the the external switch is OFF and the light is OFF.
- Move the Voltage Tester nearby each terminal
- Black Wire = No voltage detection is the Load Wire.
- Black Wire = Voltage detected is AC Live Wire.
- White Wire = AC Neutral
- Red Wire = Traveler from 3-way external switch.
- Now turn off the circuit breaker
- Ensure there is no voltage across both black wires.
- Mark the 2 black wires to easily determine which is the Load and which is the AC Live wire. We recommend using electrical tape of different colors to help indicate that.
Wire your illumino Wall Switch.
- Unscrew all wires from the external switch you are replacing with illumino Wall Switch.
- Wire Traveler Wire (red wire) into the Traveler terminal in illumino Wall Switch.
- Wire AC Live into the Live terminal in illumino Wall Switch.
- Wire Load Wire (black) into the Load terminal in illumino Wall Switch.
- Cap AC Neutral (white wire) from the breaker box, load, and neutral wire from the 3-way switch, and the additional 4th white wire you've cut together.
- With the 4rd white wire, connect that to the Neutral terminal on illumino Wall Switch.
- Cap the black wire coming from the 3-way gangbox.
Rewire your 3-way switch.
- Unwire the Black wire and cap it off.
- Move the White wire to the COM terminal.
- You may leave the red wire in the original wiring location.
- Now turn on power from your circuit breaker and test.